Sunday, September 12, 2004

Uh Oh

Remember that I was knitting the French Market Bag in Briggs & Little? Remember that this is a felted bag? Well, guess what! According to my LYS owner, Briggs & Little does not felt. I repeat, Briggs & Little does not felt. eep!

Immediately upon hearing this advice, I stopped knitting with B&L and cast on with Cascade instead. Lesson learned? Swatch, swatch, swatch! Then felt the swatch!




Update: now I've been told that B&L does felt, so I am completely confused (which is easily done, I know). The B&L I'm talking about is 100% wool. It does not say Superwash on the label and does not appear to be treated for washing. The twist of the yarn is very tight. Apparently, the tight twist prevents felting. If any of you can shed light on this mystery I would be very grateful.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I've felted Briggs and Little. I'll admit, it resisted a little, but it felted. Gotta try the swatch baby, it's the only answer.

    Stephanie
    (yarn harlot)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am writing this I am felting a bag made of Briggs and Little. My LYS uses this is all their felting classes. Never had a problem, although they recommend Cascade for felting hats. Good Luck!
    Li
    http://lifesastitch.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more comment on B&L. I find when felted, it pills more than Lopi. Solution - shave the pills off with hair clippers. Some in our class used a regular plastic razor, but this didn't work for me.

    Just took my bag out of the washer - it took about 20 minutes. After 10 I refilled the machine because the water was no longer hot enough.
    Li
    http://lifesastitch.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, am I glad I run into your blog. I've got pounds of ancient B&L that I had put aside for felting "one day". Swatching isn't something I do very often but I'll be sure to swatch this stuff. Loved your blog.

    ReplyDelete