So today I turn 29 for the 17th time. Back in the day, I had a very strict upbringing, but birthdays were special. My Mom had a tradition of giving each child breakfast in bed on the actual birthday, school day or not. We got to choose our meal. I invariably chose ham, french fries and chocolate cake with chocolate icing and chocolate fudge on top. Can you imagine having to whip that up on a school morning whilst ensuring the rest of your 6 children got off to school on time? Thanks Mom!
When we turned 14 we got an extra special treat. At breakfast we received a formal invitation from Mom and Dad to dine with them that evening at a "grown up" restaurant. We were expected to deliver an equally formal R.S.V.P to them. (Funnily enough, a box of lovely note cards would be part of the gifts that morning.) That evening the lucky birthday child would dress to the nines and accompany Mom and Dad for an evening alone with them. Those of you who come from large families will recognize the importance of having the parents' full attention. This was our introduction to the world of adults. Thanks Mom! Thanks Dad!
Here are the top ten signs that my Secret Pal is a totally cool, sweet, caring, generous knitter:
10. She vacations in Prague.
9. She prepares and sends a package to me in the midst of packing for said vacation in Prague, when there is too little time and too much to do.
8. Email greetings are sent to me from internet cafes in Prague.
7. She includes treats for my puppies in the package (Kobie and Dorey say thank you SP).
6. My cats also receive treats in the package, in the form of catnip toys knit by my SP3. She knit for my cats! The dim sum from Knitty How cool is that? (Mickey and Ellie would say thanks too, if they weren't stoned on cat nip).
5. She sends me brain food in the form of a box of Mensa riddles and puzzles. I am slowly working my way through the box. Yes, I have gotten lots and lots right. Honest, I have. O.K., maybe not lots and lots. Maybe just some right so far. But I haven't gone through the whole box yet.
4. Chocolate is a necessity to me. She understands this, and includes chocolate in each package.
3. I am a Harry Potter fan. There are Harry Potter candies in the package.
2. She sends silk yarn. SILK!!! Yummy purple, soft, brushed Tussah silk. Obtained while she was on a trip to San Francisco. You can find it at the Art Fibers store. I love it, just love it.
1. I collect eggs. She makes me a candle in the shape of an egg, in my favourite colours. Hand crafted candle, folks. She rocks!
Here are the goodies.
Silk yarn! Handcrafted candle!
Mickey hugs his toy.
Ellie abandons dignity in favour of getting stoned, er, I mean, playing with catnip toy.
Dorey watches the cats. No photos of puppies enjoying their treats are available because, well, I forgot to take such photos. Erp.