Saturday, August 28, 2004

Flower Basket Shawl Condundrum

As promised to myself, I cast on the Flower Basket Shawl after chores were done. Wimped out and used the 7 stitch cast on, then ran into a conundrum. When I follow the chart for this pattern, should I read every row in the same direction, or should I read the chart back and forth? And do I start reading in the bottom right corner or the bottom left corner of the chart? Does it even matter? Since every second row is just purled, I suspect it does not matter, but it can't hurt to make sure! Now do you see why I used the easy cast on? I am easily confused!

I left a comment asking this question (the chart one, not the rhetorical one) at the knit along. I'll lurk in the comments over there for a while in case I get a response.

By the way, I've made it to row 6 and had to frog twice. Perserverance is going to be an absolute necessity for this project!

****************

P.S. Someone has finished this already! Go here to view. It is really, really lovely. Congrats!

2 comments:

  1. You start in the bottom, right hand corner and read the chart back and forth. As you said, it doesn't matter with this particular chart since you have a mostly purl row. It's good to get in the habit of reading the charts this way because you'll be used to it when you encounter a more complicated chart some day! :)

    I had to rip and redo my first section at least half a dozen times before I "got it". Now I feel like I'm zooming right along! Hang in there, it does get easier!

    -Christine
    http://www.christinesflowers.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto everything Christine has to say....but I think I have her beat on the number of times I had to frog before it got easier. I strongly suggest running a "lifeline" through the purl row stitches every few rows. Also I'd recommend working a couple more repeats of the main chart (9 instead of 7). Mine turned out a little skimpy. Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress...it is worthwhile...honestly :)

    ReplyDelete